After looking at a variety of patterns, I found one in the book American Stenciled Quilts by Vicki Garnas. You heard that right... stenciled. No "A" word in the book.
The pattern is supposed to be enlarged 250%. But I liked a smaller end size. I enlarged 200%. (Without a border, it's about 30" x 18".)
Got that? I picked a non-beginner pattern, that's wasn't designed for applique, and made it smaller.
Cuz that's what I do.
And I couldn't be happier.
Here's a picture of the traced pattern, reduced to a single sheet of paper. (I hope the pics are okay. I'm still learning.) I wanted a pattern and fabrics that said summer.
I've sewn the stems, blue petals, one bud and some leaves to the background. The red flowers and some leaves are prepped, but not sewn in the pic below. The basket will be out of a navy blue with white print. The tulips will be an orange print.
I tried a few applique techniques before I started this project. I chose to go with freezer paper on the back of the pieces, painting the fabric edges with light sizing and and ironing the edges over the FP. Most of the pieces have been prepped. That took a LONG time.
I am delighted with every piece that I stitch, watching the picture be revealed in fabric.
I love how the sun lit the leaves on this tree in my backyard today. There was a slight chill in the air.
Outside it's fall. And inside I'm sewing summer.